The Open Society Foundations work to build vibrant and tolerant societies whose governments are accountable and open to the participation of all people. We seek to strengthen the rule of law; respect for human rights, minorities, and a diversity of opinions; democratically elected governments; and a civil society that helps keep government power in check. We help to shape public policies that assure greater fairness in political, legal, and economic systems and safeguard fundamental rights. We implement initiatives to advance justice, education, public health, and independent media. We build alliances across borders and continents on issues such as corruption and freedom of information. Working in every part of the world, the Open Society Foundations place a high priority on protecting and improving the lives of people in marginalized communities.
The Soros Economic Development Fund (SEDF) is an impact investment fund that seeks to build sustainable businesses that can generate economic opportunities and access to affordable, essential products and services for underserved populations. As a social investor, it is our fundamental premise that only sound and profitable portfolio companies can achieve scalable and measurable social impact; we do believe that social impact and profitability can support each other.
Provide administrative support to the Soros Economic Development Fund team in the London office.
The Open Society Foundations may add, change, or remove essential and other duties at any time.
- Provide administrative support to the SEDF London team (two to four individuals);
- Assist in scheduling appointments and calls, plan and coordinate meetings, videoconferences, events, and retreats (communication, IT, logistics)
- Arrange travel and meetings for staff, including visa processing and including coordinating with conference organizers;
- Prepare monthly expense reports for the team;
- Update and keep track of team leave calendars and SEDF calendar on KARL (intranet);
- Liaison with finance, IT, facilities, and other departments to troubleshoot common issues, provide quick assistance to the team, and orient/setup new staff;
- Build and manage Salesforce account (this will require formal training);
- Perform clerical duties, including: responding to incoming calls and requests from the general public, printing, copying, scanning, filing, managing database, supplies ordering, mail distribution;
- Update the SEDF website from time to time with various press releases and stories on portfolio companies;
- Maintain and update working files and databases;
- Perform basic research;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree and several years’ relevant experience and/or training, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Excellent written, verbal, organizational, analytical, and interpersonal skills;
- Excellent computer skills, proficient in Microsoft Office (including Excel);
- Excellent listening and communication skills with sensitivity to cultural communication differences;
- Shows discretion and ability to handle confidential issues;
- High level of self-motivation and at ease working independently when necessary;
- Attentive to detail, works well under pressure;
- Flexibility and willingness to work simultaneously on a wide range of tasks and projects, and ability to prioritize tasks;
- Pleasant, diplomatic manner and disposition in interacting with senior management, co-workers, and the general public.
- Ability to research on countries or issues as requested by SEDF staff;
- Ability to upload information to the SEDF website;
- Experience with databases and familiarity with HTML preferred.
Essential functions are typically performed in an office setting with a low level of noise. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Please email cover letter and resume by April 28, 2014, to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Include in subject line your name, surname, and job code: SEDF LON AA.