The Civil Society Leadership Awards offer master’s level support to individuals who demonstrate academic and professional excellence as well as a deep commitment to building open society in their home communities.
These awards support one- or two-year MA degrees in:
- Development Studies;
- Public Health & Health Management;
- Education Management & Leadership;
- Law & Human Rights;
- Public Policy & Administration;
- Environment & Resource Management;
- Social Work & Social Policy;
- Politics, Economics & International Studies;
- select Humanities & Social Sciences.
Grants cover tuition and mandatory university fees, a monthly stipend for room, board, and other living expenses, travel, accident and sickness insurance, funds for educational materials and professional development, a preparatory academic writing program, and possible internship support.
Host universities for the 2014–2015 academic year include:
- China: Hong Kong University
- Egypt: American University in Cairo
- France: Catholic University of Lyon; Université de Strasbourg
- Germany: University of Trier; University of Saarland; University of Kassel; Catholic University of Eichstätt-Ingolstadt
- Hungary: Central European University
- India: TERI University
- Latvia: Riga Graduate School of Law
- The Netherlands: Maastricht University
- Poland: Graduate School of Social Research/Polish Academy of Sciences
- Turkey: Sabanci University
- United Kingdom: Durham University; Nottingham University; St Andrews University; Essex University; Cambridge University
- United States: American University; Brandeis University; Columbia University; Syracuse University; Washington University in St Louis
Awards are offered to students from the following countries: Azerbaijan, Belarus, Cambodia, Egypt, Ethiopia, Laos, South Sudan, Sudan, Syria, Turkmenistan, and Uzbekistan.
Awards do not provide funding for foreign language teaching degrees, business administration, physical sciences, engineering, or medical degrees, or provide funding for dependent family members.
The next competition will be announced in the fall of 2014 for the 2015–16 academic year. Please check these pages in September for more information and application forms.