The Open Society Foundations/University of York Scholarships aim to provide opportunities for independent postgraduate study in the United Kingdom for individuals from Afghanistan who have demonstrated academic and/or professional excellence and the potential to become leaders in their own country.
Subject to satisfactory progress, the scholarships lead to a Master of Arts award. The Scholarships will enable suitably qualified individuals and/or young professionals from Afghanistan to pursue the following taught postgraduate program at the University of York: MA Post-War Recovery Studies.
Each award will provide for payment of academic tuition fees, examination fees, a monthly stipend for living expenses sufficient for a single individual, and other agreed upon allowances including one return economy airfare.
The scholarships are open to applicants from Afghanistan.
- be nationals of and normally reside in Afghanistan during the academic year in which they apply for the award. Applicants who are temporarily out of the country (for a total period of less than three consecutive months) may be treated as being resident;
- already hold (or expect to hold by the time of taking up the award) a relevant first degree with good grades or have a proven record of exceptional professional experience;
- display intellectual ability and leadership potential;
- have passed an appropriate English language test by the time of taking up the award;
- be committed to returning to their home country at the end of their scholarship period to continue their studies/work there.
A preference will go to applicants who have not previously studied outside of their home country.
Please note that if you have applied or are applying for other grants, fellowships, or scholarships with the Open Society Foundations you should inform your local representative of the Open Society Scholarship Programs in your application. While you may apply for different forms of support from the Foundations simultaneously, you can be awarded only one Open Society Foundations scholarship or grant for a given period.
Employees and employees’ relatives (or former employees who have left employment less than two years before) of the local representatives of the Open Society Scholarship Programs directly involved in the scholarship programs and the participating universities are not eligible for these awards.
For further details, please contact the Open Society Afghanistan (OSA) in Kabul at the address below and download and review the complete Guidance Notes and application forms on the left.
The completed forms and other documents must be returned to OSA in Kabul by February 4, 2013. One original set of the application pack and one additional set of copies should be submitted.
Open Society Afghanistan (OSA)
House # 829, street # 7 Qala-e-Fathullah, Kabul, Afghanistan
Tel: +93 (0) 784 609 868 and +93 (0) 778 816 380
Contact: Mr. Mohammad Yusuf, Youth and Civil Society Officer
Email: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org