The International Renaissance Foundation (IRF) seeks qualified applicants for the position of Executive Director (ED).
International Renaissance Foundation (IRF)
International Renaissance Foundation is a part of the worldwide network of the Open Society Foundations. The foundation was founded in 1990 by George Soros and a group of Ukrainian intellectuals and is the largest and oldest charitable foundation in Ukraine. IRF’s mission is to foster an open, participatory, pluralist society based on democratic values in Ukraine. IRF provides financial and expert support to Ukrainian civil society organizations that work to improve the quality of public policy, address corruption, prevent backsliding of democratic reforms, advance rights of vulnerable populations, improve public health, and facilitate access to justice.
Specific responsibilities of the Executive Director include but are not limited to:
- providing leadership in identifying, planning, and implementing IRF’s strategic priorities and maintaining excellent communications and working relationships between the Board and staff;
- building and maintaining strong relationships with leaders of civil society, reformers in the government, international actors, and other donors for advancing the open society values and agenda;
- supervising the process of developing and aligning program initiatives, budgets, communications, and relevant staffing to ensure successful implementation of the strategy;
- serving as the key spokesperson for IRF and representing the foundation in external relations;
- ensuring that IRF remains financially robust and develops its financial transparency, compliance, and accountability;
- ensuring that IRF ‘s operation is based on respect for principles of equity, inclusion and diversity;
- providing an enabling environment for merit-based staff advancement and leadership development;
The successful candidate will have a track record of commitment to human rights and deep knowledge of Ukraine’s civil society and political context. She/he will be a passionate and vigilant defender of open society values and principles and promote non-discriminatory, respectful and fair dealings inside and outside the organization.
Integrity, professionalism and instinctive reliance on the highest moral and fiduciary standards are indispensable in this role in both personal relationships and institutional governance.
The successful candidate will:
- demonstrate strong leadership skills: proven by experience as a successful leader in other organizations and/or situations with diplomatic and problem-solving skills;
- have an advanced degree and at least 10 years work experience in a non-profit foundation, association of NGOs and/or a nationwide NGO, think tank, academia, public administration, media, or other areas requiring strong leadership, management, and communications; including at least five years of managerial and supervisory experience at senior level in a complex institution;
- earn and keep the respect of staff through sound and fair judgment, reliability, concern for their well-being, and high standards regarding conduct of work and behavior in the workplace;
- show strong organizational and management skills with a strong a grasp of budgeting techniques and analysis, planning ability, personnel management and supervisory skills, and excellent time management;
- engage in confident and inspiring public communication, whether through media outreach or one-to-one encounters;
- be knowledgeable and experienced in implementing effective and instructive monitoring and evaluation tools;
- be knowledgeable and experienced in the legal dimensions of non-profit organizations and comfortable implementing complex, rule-based systems;
- be proficient in office software (email, spreadsheets and word processing) and able to learn and grasp other management software used internally;
- have strong fundraising experience with the ability to engage and inspire a wide range of stakeholders;
- travel extensively as part of the routine of the job managing their responsibilities remotely when necessary; and
- be fluenct in Ukrainian and English. Knowledge of an additional language a plus.
As part of your application, please submit a resume and cover letter; including the names and contact information of three references.
The position carries a competitive salary and good benefits package. The position will be based in Kyiv and will report to a local Supervisory Board.
Start date: Fall 2017
Compensation: Commensurate with experience.
We are strengthened by the diversity of our colleagues across the International Renaissance Foundation and we welcome and actively seek applications from people of all cultures, backgrounds, and experiences.