At the annual conference for the Social Work Master's Program, grantees from host universities Columbia and Washington-St. Louis participated in workshop-style events. The event was organized by Alex Irwin, program manager, and Matthew Wilson, who took over as program coordinator in 2010.
In addition to information from OSI staff on the practicalities and intricacies of the grant, a wide-range of topics were addressed by guest and scholar presentations.
- Keynote Speech: Overcoming Insurmountable Problems: Improving Child Welfare Back Home, David Tobis, Executive Director of the Fund for Social Change
- Advancing Palliative Care Globally, Dr. Kathleen Foley, Medical Director - International Palliative Care Initiative, OSI
- Modeling and Intervening in Complex Social-Ecological Systems, Professor Gautam N. Yadama, Washington University in St. Louis
- Violence and Injury Prevention among Children in Kyrgyzstan, Kanykei Latipova (WU ’08) & Nazgul Cholponbaeva (CU ’08)
- Child Labor in Tajikistan, Jamshed Kurbanov (CU ’08)
- Maternal Empowerment and its Relationship to Children’s Health and Survival in Azerbaijan, Tamerlan Rajabov (WU ’08)
- Needs Assessment of Survivors of Political Violence in Georgia, Vakhtang Gomelauri (WU ’08)
- Human Library/Living Library, Nail Nasritdinov (WU ’08)
- High-Risk Behavior and Knowledge of STI/HIV/AIDS among Youth in Batumi, Inga Saitadze (WU ’08) & Darejan Dvalishvili (CU ’08)