The Open Society Institute Campaign for Black Male Achievement and the Association of Black Foundation Executives host the premiere screening of Beyond the Bricks, a short documentary from Washington Koen Media that explores solutions to the poor academic performance and low graduation rates of school-age black males in the United States.
Beyond the Bricks follows two students from Newark, New Jersey, as they struggle to improve their circumstances. The film includes interviews with educators, administrators, elected officials, and activists who offer their ideas about solutions to the crisis facing young black men.
A Q & A with an expert panel will follow a short reception and screening of the film.
- Xiania Foster, Policy Analyst for Education, Youth Development, and Child Well-Being, Division of Constituent Services for the Mayor's Office of Newark, NJ
- Shaquiel Ingram, 10th grade student, Barringer High School, Newark, NJ
- Vincent Mays, Director, Office of Alternative Education, Newark Public Schools
- Pedro Noguera, Executive Director, Metropolitan Center for Urban Education; Co-Director, Institute for the Study of Globalization and Education in Metropolitan Settings
- Pastor Thomas Reddick, Executive Director of Newark's Renaissance Community Development Corporation Center, Inc.
49 Washington Street
Newark, NJ 07102
Newark, New Jersey