Four civil society activists with firsthand knowledge of human rights concerns related to the Maidan, Crimea, and the situation in eastern Ukraine discuss the evolving human rights challenges facing Ukraine.
Volodymyr Shcherbachenko, a Luhansk native, shares his knowledge of the situation on the ground, providing insight into the current struggles over the eastern regions. The Euromaidan activists also offer Ukrainian civic groups’ evaluation of the situation throughout the country, the range of work they are undertaking in response, and their recommendations for the West.
- Maksym Butkevych has worked in the media since 1999 as an international correspondent for Ukrainian TV channels “STB,” 1+1, and “Inter.”
- Alexandra Delemenchuk is one of the co-coordinators of Euromaidan-SOS.
- Oleksandra Matviichuk is board chair of the Center for Civil Liberties, a nongovernmental organization promoting democratic development and human rights.
- Volodymyr Shcherbachenko is head of the board of the East-Ukrainian Center for Civic Initiatives.
- Jeff Goldstein (moderator) is the senior policy analyst for Eurasia at the Open Society Foundations.