Turkey in Europe: Breaking the Vicious Circle
Since the opening of accession negotiations in October 2005, Turkey's relationship with the EU has been far from problem-free. Opposition to Turkey's full membership from within the EU and domestic difficulties in the country itself have created a climate of mutual distrust and suspicion. This has had an impact on the pace of the negotiation process and raised many concerns and questions.
At this event, organized by the European Policy Centre in collaboration with the Open Society Institute and the British Council, members of the Independent Commission on Turkey will address these issues. The commission's second report, Turkey in Europe: Breaking the Vicious Circle, will be made public at the event.
- Antonio Missiroli, Director of Studies, European Policy Centre
- Martti Ahtisaari, Nobel Peace Laureate; former President of Finland
- Emma Bonino, Member of the Italian Senate; former European Commissioner; former Member of the European Parliament
- Hans van den Broek, former Foreign Minister of the Netherlands; former European Commissioner
- Marcelino Oreja Aguirre, Former Foreign Minister of Spain; former Secretary General of the Council of Europe; former European Commissioner
- Michel Rocard, Former Prime Minister of France; former Member of the European Parliament
- Albert Rohan, Former Secretary General of Foreign Affairs, Austria
Please confirm your participation by completing and returning the reply form below. Registration is mandatory.
155 Rue de la Loi
Confronting the Crisis
Now Is the Time for Climate Action
As a new survey of public opinion in the United States and multiple European countries shows, the public, despite being overwhelmed with misinformation, nevertheless supports governmental action to address the looming climate crisis.
A Victory for Civil Society
European Union Court Rejects Hungarian NGO Funding Law
A ruling from the Court of Justice of the European Union has affirmed the vital role of civil society in democratic governance.
The Legacy of 1989
George Soros on Europe after the Berlin Wall
Thirty years after the end of the Cold War, Open Society Foundations Founder and Chair George Soros looks back at his support for Central and Eastern European democracy, which began when few imagined the fall of the Iron Curtain.