This OSI fact sheet examines the state of palliative care and HIV/AIDS in Latin America. In particular, it provides information on the following topics:
- the role of palliative care in HIV/AIDS treatment
- providing palliative care with HAART (highly active antiretroviral therapy)
- current models of palliative care development and provision to people living with HIV/AIDS
- barriers to palliative care
- steps to make palliative care available to adults and children
Palliative care is a necessary component in the care of children and adults living with HIV/AIDS. It should be delivered concurrently with curative treatment at the time of diagnosis as it helps to alleviate pain and other physical symptoms, as well as address the psychological and social effects that result from living with a life-limiting illness.