At What Cost? HIV and Human Rights Consequences of the Global "War on Drugs"
A decade after governments worldwide pledged to achieve a "drug-free world," there is little evidence that the supply or demand of illicit drugs has been reduced. Instead, aggressive drug control policies have led to increased incarceration for minor offenses, human rights violations, and disease.
This book examines the descent of the global war on drugs into a war on people who use drugs. From Puerto Rico to Phnom Penh, Manipur to Moscow, the scars of this war are carried on the bodies and minds of drug users, their families, and the health and service providers who work with them.
The following topics are included in this volume:
- Police Abuse of Injection Drug Users in Indonesia
- Arbitrary Detention and Police Abuse of Drug Users in Cambodia
- Forced Drug Testing in China
- Drug Control Policies and HIV Prevention and Care Among Injection Drug Users in Imphal, India
- Effects of UN and Russian Influence on Drug Policy in Central Asia
- The Impacts of the Drug War in Latin America and the Caribbean
- Civil Society Reflections on 10 Years of Drug Control in Myanmar, Thailand, and Vietnam
- Twin Epidemics—Drug Use and HIV/AIDS in Pakistan
Public Health First
Incarceration Should Not Be a Death Sentence
Despite earlier promises to fight the spread of COVID-19 by reducing the number of nonviolent offenders in jails and prisons, governments worldwide are dragging their feet and prioritizing the drug war ahead of public health.
How Authoritarianism Fuels the War on Drugs
While the world’s attention has shifted to the COVID-19 pandemic, the harms and injustices of the “war on drugs” are not only continuing; they’re being intensified. What can civil society reformers do in response?
How Can We Help the Children of Incarcerated Parents?
Some of the most neglected victims of the war on drugs are the families and children of those who are incarcerated because of nonviolent drug offenses. A new report outlines the problem and presents research-driven solutions.