Big Change Baltimore will celebrate the Open Society Institute–Baltimore’s presence in the city over the past 15 years. Hundreds of business and civic leaders will gather to hear engaging conversations and ideas, led by some of the nation’s most extraordinary thinkers, researchers, and visionaries. There will also be a surprise musical performance.
- Henry Cisneros, Chairman of CityView companies, former Secretary of the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development and former Mayor of San Antonio, Texas. He will talk about a framework for action and some of the best replicable ideas that make big change real.
- Van Jones, new co-host of CNN’s re-launch of Crossfire and president of Rebuild the Dream, has been named one of our nation’s most constructive policy leaders. He is an environmental advocate, civil rights activist, and attorney.
- Shankar Vedantam, NPR Science Correspondent, author of The Hidden Brain, and prize-winning writer on the effects of the unconscious mind on human behavior. He will share fascinating insights about how our actions and opinions may not always jibe with what we consciously think.
- Pedro Noguera, one of America’s most important voices on school reform, diversity, and the achievement gap, and the Peter L. Agnew Professor of Education at New York University. He will discuss cultivating intellectual talent in children no matter what their background or neighborhood is.
- Sherrilyn Ifill, an outspoken national commentator on civil rights issues, president and director-counsel of the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund, professor at the University of Maryland School of Law, and member of the OSI-Baltimore Board and the Open Society Foundations’ U. S. Programs Board. She will discuss the opportunity for equity and justice to become a reality.
To see the full list of speakers, go to www.bigchangebaltimore.org.
This event is sold out, but will be webcast live.
CenterStage, 700 N. Calvert Street, Baltimore, MD 21202