This event alongside the U.S.–Africa Leaders Summit offered a platform for representatives from civil society, the private sector, and governments to share experiences on efforts to improve natural resource governance, including fiscal and financial transparency.
The panel featured keynote remarks and an interactive discussion of four representatives on topics including: civil society and citizen participation; open contracting and open companies; revenue and budget transparency; trade mis-invoicing; and the potential of existing African governance mechanisms.
- George Soros, Founder and Chairman, Open Society Foundations
- Joseph N. Boakai, Vice President of Liberia
- Heather Higginbottom, Deputy Secretary of State for Management and Resources, United States Department of State
- Mojanku Gumbi, Trustee, Thabo Mbeki Foundation
- Mo Ibrahim, Co-Founder and Chair, Mo Ibrahim Foundation
- Ali Idrissa, National Coordinator, Publiez Ce Que Vous Payez Niger
- Daniel Kaufmann, President, Natural Resource Governance Institute
- Simon Taylor, Co-Founder and Director, Global Witness (Closing Remarks)
The Willard Washington, D.C. Hotel, 1401 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington, D.C. 20004