Big Change Baltimore 2013 celebrated the Open Society Institute–Baltimore’s presence in the city over 15 years. Hundreds of business and civic leaders gathered to hear engaging conversations and ideas, led by some of the nation’s most extraordinary thinkers, researchers, and visionaries.
- Henry Cisneros, Chairman of CityView companies, former Secretary of the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development and former Mayor of San Antonio, Texas. He discusses a framework for action and some of the best replicable ideas that make big change real.
- Van Jones, new co-host of CNN’s re-launch of Crossfire and president of Rebuild the Dream, has been named one of our nation’s most constructive policy leaders. He is an environmental advocate, civil rights activist, and attorney.
- Shankar Vedantam, NPR Science Correspondent, author of The Hidden Brain, and prize-winning writer on the effects of the unconscious mind on human behavior. He shares fascinating insights about how our actions and opinions may not always jibe with what we consciously think.
- Pedro Noguera, one of America’s most important voices on school reform, diversity, and the achievement gap, and the Peter L. Agnew Professor of Education at New York University. He discusses cultivating intellectual talent in children regardless of their background.
- Sherrilyn Ifill, an outspoken national commentator on civil rights issues, president and director-counsel of the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund, professor at the University of Maryland School of Law, and member of the OSI-Baltimore Board and the Open Society Foundations’ U. S. Programs Board. She discusses opportunities for making equity and justice become a reality.
To see the full list of speakers, and to watch video recordings of the event, please vist www.bigchangebaltimore.org.
CenterStage, 700 N. Calvert Street, Baltimore, MD 21202